Spring 2016 Internship Program
Democratic Voices of Ohio, a 501(c)(4) social welfare and progressive advocacy organization, is seeking talented, social justice-motivated college students to apply for our paid internship program this Spring.
Democratic Voices is a media-producing issue advocacy organization based in Columbus, Ohio, working to leverage the power of digital communications to grow public engagement with Ohio’s politically progressive causes.
Our mission bears out in our operations in diverse ways–through our blog, our growing social media communities, a strong network of allies and supporters, and our work producing media and managing digital communications for other local-area nonprofits whose missions align with our own.
We are seeking qualified applicants for our spring internship program. Our interns regularly write for the Democratic Voices blog, assist with social media management, and contribute to unique grassroots projects.
- Very strong written communication skills
- Natural tendency to follow the news and current events
- Interest in public policy, better government
- Excellent attention to detail
- Desire to work in communications, PR, public policy, public administration, advocacy, grassroots organizing, or other related fields after graduation
- At least a basic understanding of, or interest in government and politics in the State of Ohio
- Ideally, candidate possesses a deep personal connection to the goals of progress in the State of Ohio
- Ability to work well collaboratively and independently, as needed
- Willingness to adapt to new techniques, task-switch throughout the day, be responsive to editorial direction
- Understanding of the major social media platforms and social networks, particularly Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Experience managing pages on any social media platforms is a plus
- Experience working with Microsoft Excel, WordPress, MailChimp, Google Drive, and/or Adobe Photoshop is ideal
- Able to work from our downtown Columbus office
- Able to bring a laptop or similar Internet-connecting device with you to work
Applicants whose unique backgrounds and/or life experiences make them exceptional fits for this internship program are encouraged to include that explanation in their cover letter when they apply.
If interested in this opportunity, you can email your resume, a brief cover letter, and your spring semester hours and days of availability to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 18, 2016. If writing or blogging is a key focus area of yours, please attach a non-academic writing sample or links to published work samples. You may also apply below.